How was the Lymphie Strong food group created?
Every lymphedema therapy (complete decongestive therapy / CDT) intake or admission I have ever answered questions for has always asked me about my diet. I have seen it discussed at Lymphedema conferences. Many research articles say if you eat better, you will have less swelling. Yet, as a patient, I have not been provided formal resources around it as part of my LE therapy other than maybe a handout or two. I’d love to hear if some programs have full blown in house nutrition not associated with bariatric surgery intentions or weight loss.
That’s just the population that has access to a CLT or CDT treatment. If you don’t have insurance or have no resources in your area, then where are we supposed to go for food support?
I’m one of those people that think that weight doesn’t necessarily mean you are healthy. You can be “thin” and still feel very lousy with LE. Are thin people given any info on diet? Do not assume that thin or mild cases of lymphedema do not need this information.
For the record, this is not a complaint against the program I attend. I’m 4 years post reduction and very happy that they helped me get my life back. I do a lot of things to maintain my regimen. Part of that reduction regimen was food changes.
Where Do We Go?
Where do we go if we want to ask others that have LE questions too?
Where do I go if there are no in-person support groups in my area?
Maybe there is one, but I can’t make it as part of my schedule constraints.
If I attend a support group, is diet necessarily going to be the topic discussed each and every time? Probably not.
I did use diet as part of strategy to reduce, but it took me a long time. It took me a year. If I had had a group for support, maybe I would’ve reduced faster. Then again maybe not. I’ll never know, but I recognize it as a gap.
I decided to build a group, a safe haven if you will, where lymphedema patients like me can have discussions with each other on what food means in their relationship to their lymphedema and to help one another. We have even had 2 really great speakers.
It is not a group to conduct diet debates or diet wars. We are not in competition with one another for some imaginary prize for who eats the best.
A lot of members join the group to be told what to eat. That’s not what this group is about. It is illegal to tell you what to eat without a license and without your full medical history.
Food is very personal. If you don’t think it is, make a comment about someone’s cooking, recipes, or what their family eats. It can get heated very quickly figuratively speaking.
Sugar Withdrawal Food Challenge
Here we go. We are introducing for the first time ever a #MOVETHATLYMPH challenge based on food. Sugar is inflammatory regardless of the diet you are on. I’m not talking about a specific protocol. I’m talking about changing those habits that you, and only you, know that you indulge in.
- No need for your goal to be complicated.
- Participate at your level.
- This is a challenge for Lymphies by Lymphies. This means it is not a competition. It is a challenge for yourself to improve or maintain your lymphatic health, depending on your needs.
- By joining you commit to #MOVETHATLYMPH and sharing your progress in the group.
- This challenge is a pledge to support and inspire your teammates.
Social Media Sharing
If sharing makes you uncomfortable or you do not have time to post on social media, then this virtual challenge is not for you.
If you do not share your posts in the group or on social media, you are not motivating others and likewise others cannot support and motivate you when you need encouragement.
Think of your sharing as tracking your progress or a journal towards your achievement. You will be surprised how much you have accomplished once you complete the challenge.
Everyone is fighting a battle we know nothing about LE related or not. If you must drop out due to unforeseen circumstances such as cellulitis, surgery, or other emergency issues, send Lymphie Strong a message. If the reason is personal, simply state withdrawing for personal reasons.
The #MOVETHATLYMPH Series originated in January 2017. We thank our valued and repeat challenge members and welcome new joiners alike. All of you are the true inspirational Lymphedema/Lipo-LE heroes and backbone of the entire cause to create lymphatic health awareness. Your full participation makes it a complete success for all.
This food challenge is the first of its kind and a pilot program.
- Like or Follow Lymphie Strong at https://www.facebook.com/LymphieStrong/
- Submit the payment to register by the deadline. This is final and non-refundable regardless if you finish. Only PayPal is accepted. You will receive a virtual RIBBON NUMBER via email and a link to a closed group if you are on Facebook.
- If you are not already in the The Lymphedema Table closed Facebook group, you are welcome to join. Answer the questionnaire completely. Twitter and Instagram users are also welcome.
- Post your check-in as a summary once per week for a 30 day duration.
- If you are on Twitter or Instagram, follow and tag @lymphiestrong in your posts. Use hashtags #movethatlymph #lymphiestrong and your food journal number summary. Optionally you can use #feedyourlymph.
- Don’t forget your ribbon number hashtag!
- Each participant is responsible for tracking their own updates. Lymphie Strong will post weekly start reminders each Friday.
- Once you reach 4 summaries (one per week), you are done. You may continue to post and count if you choose to do so, but it is not a requirement.
- One week counts as one. Do not count individual meals towards your 4.
- Do not post a screenshot of your food tracker app and not explain what you did.
- Any member losing track or missing 2 weekly check-ins will be disqualified. No exceptions. Refer above to “Team Atmosphere”
- Post on the “I SURVIVED” finish line at the end with your virtual ribbon number to signal you have completed the challenge.
Registrants maintaining the above requirements will be entered into a live FB random drawing at the end of the challenge.
This is a grassroots pilot program event with a growing prize list. Interested in donating a prize? Contact Lymphie Strong.
- Swollen, Bloated and Puffy: A Manual Lymphatic Drainage Therapist’s Guide to Reducing Swelling in the Face and Body – Book by Kathleen Lisson
- $50 e-gift Amazon Card from Lymphie Strong
Questions or communications may be submitted to the Lymphie Strong Inbox. It is not monitored on the weekends.
Good Luck and Wishing You Awesome Lymphatic Health!